Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
A simple recipe that looks and tastes great. Easily modified for gluten free and dairy free diets. For some added flavor saute onions with the garlic in step 5. Enjoy!
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 lb green beans, ends snapped
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 1/4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- White pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1 cup organic goat milk or kefir or almond milk for DF
- 2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup GF Crackers (Mary’s Gone Crackers, Nut Thins, etc)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with cold ice water and ice. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and add 1 tablespoon of salt; bring water to a boil. Add green beans to boiling water and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain the beans in a colander and immediately plunge them into an ice bath. Drain the beans again in a colander. Dry the beans with a kitchen towel or paper towels (don’t skip this part!). Set aside.
- Cut mushrooms into small pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil; add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Remove skillet from heat. Add the cooked green beans into the skillet with the mushrooms and gently toss. Transfer the green bean-mushroom mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- To the same skillet used to cook the mushrooms, add 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons flour; heat over medium-high heat and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and continue whisking until all of the milk is used and the mixture is creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Add this roux to the green bean-mushroom mixture and gently toss to coat.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, gluten free crackers, to a blender or food processor; process by pulsing about 10 quick times. Season with salt and pulse again. Top green bean-mushroom mixture with the pulsed pumpkin seed mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Garnish with whole pumpkin seeds before serving.